Wednesday, September 28, 2022

"Gwenshelf."

Oddly, I'm not sure Gwen would be an Essential or Showcase collector: I think they predate her by a few years, and I suspect she would be a digital girl. But, I love them, and wish I had bought more of them when they were first coming out. I just bought the Adam Strange Showcase off of eBay, so there are still a few floating around. My local comic shop still has a few in stock, which I grab on occasion.  I need to sit down and update my list, since it sucks to see some in the wild and struggle to remember which volumes of Thor I have; and here are the lists of DC Showcases and Marvel Essentials.

Gwen's shelf, though, is actually mine; my most recent craft nonsense project! It's a 1/12 version of one of my own bookshelves. I have um, like four of the same, inexpensive mass-market particle board shelves; all crammed about as full as I can get them. (I strongly suspect some, if not all of the shelves; will have to be replaced the next time I move. They hold up fine where they are, but aren't the most durable things.) For a change, I didn't have to work completely from scratch; there was a very nice instructional video that pointed me in the right direction, but I didn't like the corners and resorted to my chosen medium, black duct tape!
Hmm, I think I left a big open strip there, because I was going to scan some of the smaller zines that are usually on that shelf: we got a Jhonen Vasquez Fillerbunny, but I missed scanning Evan Dorkin's Milk & Cheese: the Special Edition. But all the books, not unlike the actual Showcases and Essentials, are filled with newsprint, hacked out of the local free weekly and bound up with tape. So, you could arrange or even (gasp!) organize the shelf, but can't flip through them. Still wish I remembered where I put Essential Frankenstein; and I'm almost positive I've read Showcase: the War that Time Forgot but I can't recollect if I just got it out of the library or something. Mileage may vary, but the more oddball collections are probably the hardest to find but the ones to get. 

Satana turning a spell on Gwenpool, is the equivalent of cocking a loaded gun. Just to show she means business...Do Gwen's powers work like this? I thought so, but I could be wrong, and it could change at any point anyway. 

7 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Well I for one am legit impressed that not only did you build a toy shelf stacked with comics for your figures, but that you built a legit replica of your OWN shelf for your figures. Honestly, how many other people go that extra mile like that? Not to mention all the other custom sets you've built for yourself & our enjoyment to go along with your skits.

Very cool Goo, very, very cool.

As far as I know Marvel decided to make her a mutant with reality-altering powers, so I guess her using "flashbacks" as a way of getting what she wants is certainly an interesting use of that kind of power. Maybe Sat has a limited immunity to them? Maybe not. Either way a case of 50 yr old scotch is a case of 50 yr old scotch, and to borrow a quote from Inglorious Bastards, "There's a special rung in hell reserved for those who waste good scotch." I'd like to imagine Satana's the one who's in charge of that rung & dispensing the appropriate punishment.

H said...

Nice collection- I've got a bunch of those and there are a few at my LCS that I'm thinking about once I can make some space. Got a couple oddballs myself and can confirm that they're worth finding.

I feel like Gwen's probably got a few really worn Essentials/Showcases for her favorite runs but stocks up on remaindered Masterworks/Archives when she can. I've managed to get a lot of great Golden Age stuff that way. I especially like the Marvel stuff- their Timely/Atlas days are underrated.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@H: They really are and deserve to be reprinted in mass. Of course there has to be a big enough demand for them to balance out the cost, but surely Marvel can fix that problem by bringing back a good number of those old Timely/Atlas characters & featuring them heavily.

Take The Twelve for example; JMS and Chris Weston poured all that time & effort into dusting them off & making them palatable for a then modern audience only for Marvel to essentially abandon them once again after one one single follow up mini-series.
The fact that you have these now rich, diverse characters to readily use & they chose not to is beyond me.

googum said...

It's a toss-up, really: Marvel has these characters, will forget about them until the next time they have to renew copyrights. DC would've remembered them in time to kill them in a Crisis.

Also realized why I'd never be put in charge of anything: 16 issues of Nth Man (plus an issue of Excalibur and 8 pages from MCP!) would've made a nice Essential. Or a collection I'd have just called "What?" with 12 issues of U.S. 1, 12 of Team America, 11 of Crystar.

CalvinPitt said...

I know Gwen can hop backwards to pages in comics that she wasn't originally in to mess around, so I assume she could hop back to some point when something was going on in Kurt and Sat's apartment and leave some booze there.

I've only got one Showcase and that's Metamorpho, but I've got volume 1 and 3 of Defenders Essentials, and the Ms. Marvel Essential, which includes those two issues that got released years later in a sort of anthology series (Marvel Super Heroes? It's the same title where Squirrel Girl first appeared).

Do Marvel and DC still do collections of the older stuff in black-and-white, or is it all more like the Masterworks, hardcover deluxe thing now? I'm too cheap to be buying those.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

@Goo: Very true, which is sad, but that's what it's a corporation/business first & foremost. Characters that low on the totem pole/priority list are easily forgotten or ignored until Feige & Disney decide to make a show or movie about them, then all of a sudden they get love & attention.

Ha ha, that "What?" collections sounds like some random diehard fan shit probably would only be made due to use gofundme or one of those programs.

Shit, collect the King Kull stuff, Star-Slayer, Frankenstein, Mummy, etc stuff.


@CalvinPitt: Having looked it up, Marvel stopped producing those Marvel Essentials in 2013. DC stopped putting out their DC Showcase collections in 2016. As mind-boggling as it sounds to stop, maybe they stopped being profitable to continue to produce?

H said...

They've sort of split the difference- both are putting out that sort of stuff in standard-sized paperbacks in color that are about halfway between the two in cost. DC gave up on Archives but their hardcovers are usually cheaper than the Masterworks Marvel's putting out. It's like Goo was hinting at- most of that stuff moved to digital a few years back.

I think anybody who'd buy that "What?" collection probably already has those issues- I'm about 2/3 of the way there already.

I'm not sure I want them to bring those characters back, actually. They tend to 'modernize' things too much when they do that, and there's a crazy Golden Age energy to some of them that just can't be replicated today. There have been a few one-shots from guys like Michael Kupperman that worked but that's about it.