Friday, September 30, 2022

This'll be a quick one, since it's not the kind of book you can really break the plot down on, but it's also the kind you should grab whenever you can! From 2017, A Bulletproof Coffin One-Shot: the 1000 Yard Stare" Written by David Hine, art by Shaky Kane.
The team of Hine and Kane was no more, having sold out to Big 2 Publishing; but having burned through his payout "like a true red-blooded American...on booze, blow, blackjack and broads" Kane had been approached by Image Nation for a new book, which leads to him on the convention circuit. It's not as much fun as it sounds! We also check out his ashcan edition of "Hypno Vampires from the Stars," a Coffin Fly adventure.
This is where I'll heave one of my infrequent sighs at not being better organized; as I can't recall if I had this already, but I jumped on it when I found it in the dollar bins! I know I have the first Bulletproof Coffin in trade, but did I collect the second in singles...? Also need to make a note, I haven't read the Beef yet.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid said...

Do read the Beef. But of a weird & sad ending though. Kinda.
LOVE all things Bulletproof Coffin, especially the 1000 Yard Stare one- shot. Legit hoping that wasn’t they’re last time exploring those worlds because they were so damn fun & entertaining. The fake homage ads are great too. Lots of characters to spin off into their own series.

H said...

Love me some Shaky Kane, whether as artist or writer (or sometimes both). Funny enough, he and Hine are Brits- they both did some great stuff for 2000 AD in the 90's (nothing together though, I believe). Honestly, as far out as things got once he moved into to American comics, his British stuff is even wilder. Not much has been reprinted but if you do get a chance, definitely jump on it.