Tuesday, September 20, 2022

I haven't had cable for years or Netflix for a while, so I can't recall if I watched all four seasons of Wynonna Earp or not; but I'd never picked up an issue of the comic until a recent quarter-box find: from 1997, Wynonna Earp #2, "The Bloody Badge of the Law" Created and written by Beau Smith, pencils by Joyce Chin, inks by Mark Irwin.
Enh, it's OK, although the art is Image-standard for the time: Wynonna's legs go on for miles, and I'm pretty sure company-wide there were more different body types portrayed for werewolves than for women. I don't think she started as a U.S. Marshall on her show, but here she's a full-fledged one, on the case of vampire druglord Bobo del Rey, who might've been the big-bad for the first season or two. After shutting down the local watering hole for pushing the vampire drug "hemo" (which appeared to kill most of its users, not a great business model) she gets Bobo's attention, and he sends two of his vampire boys to bring her to him. They get hacked to bits, but when she goes to have a look at the local trailer park, another pair get the best of her. Luckily, a pair of werewolves don't seem to be on the vampires' side...but are they on Wynonna's?
This series ran for five issues, but I don't know if it had an actual conclusion, or just petered out like some Image titles do. Meanwhile, my folks have been enjoying Resident Alien on SyFy, I don't have the heart to tell them it's probably doomed, don't get attached...I don't know if Happy! was intended to go longer than two seasons, but SyFy has burned me so many times. Ask me about their last episode of Farscape if you want to hear some epic swearing...

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I'm always in the mood for a good swear session. Yeah SYFY dicking a franchise around that did pretty damn good ratings for them on their channel just seems par for the course doesn't it? I believe Happy was cancelled mostly due to poor ratings. They were half of what Season 1 was so, that gave some exec the excuse to pull the trigger. And if fans were hoping Netflix picking it up would save it, Netflix is even MORE notorious for cancelling shit with an itchier trigger finger than SYFY is, as they've more than proven in just the last two years alone.

CalvinPitt said...

I think this first Wynonna Earp book was supposed to be an ongoing that got canceled. I bought the collection of all the Wynonna Earp stuff IDW released when the show first started, and the last issue ends with Wynonna berating Beau Smith in a bar because he promised her book would last, because he knew Jim Lee. Then she vows to go get Ennis, Ellis, or Gaiman to write her instead.

I can make a pretty good guess at Ennis or Ellis' versions, but I have no idea what a Neil Gaiman Wynonna Earp book would be like.