Tuesday, May 07, 2024

I mention this now, so if it goes south, you can give me the business later.

I'm still not sure if this is indicative of a problem, a sign of the times, or maybe just good old-fashioned gouging; but here goes: after some clearance sales, I've got four parts out of six for the Totally Awesome Hulk Build-a-Figure. Usually, the next step would be to find the parts on eBay, or maybe Mercari. I've sold pieces myself, although it's been some time: since I bought multiple Nightcrawlers, for a while I was probably the #1 seller of Galactus crotch there. Anyway... 

Currently, I'm missing T-A Hulk's head and left leg, from Commander Rogers and Captain Marvel, respectively. As much as anyone can be said to 'need' an action figure; I didn't need either: I thought the last movie Captain Marvel was fine, and the old Commander Rogers was too tall and the new one is taller still? Plus, I don't love the design, and Cap is fine as Cap for me. In the past, parts like that might run six, seven bucks? Plus postage. Kind of like a rebate, if you know you aren't going to complete the BaF. But searching for these particular pieces, I keep seeing prices like $18, $20. Seriously? That's definitely buy-the-whole-figure territory; but there's a toy show this weekend, and I'm hoping I get lucky. Then, of course I found something else on Mercari: the tail piece, for 2006's Toy Biz Marvel Legends Mojo! The seller had a picture, and did not look anywhere near old enough to have a 18-year-old action figure piece in a drawer. Now, it took me a moment to bite on that sale: first, I had to do some image searching, to make sure it was the BaF piece and not part of the older, animated X-Men Mojo. But I did buy it, before I went digging in my garage.
Going out to my garage, for no particular reason? Super-fun! It's full of interesting crap. Going out to my garage for one specific thing? Well, if it isn't the consequences of my actions...I knew I had 5/6th of Mojo, just needed that tail; and he's big and fat and yellow, he shouldn't be that hard to find. Right? OK, it took me a couple tries, but got him. Although, I was dismayed to also find two pieces first--his robot-spider-legged butt sled or whatever you would call it. How the hell did I end up with seven pieces out of six, and I'm still not done? I must have found some of these at toy shows, since I know I never bought Baron Zemo, although I have his sceptre from a big parts buy a few years back...but I'm positive I have a First Appearance Iron Man in the garage, and he's the one the tail piece came with in the first damn place! How the--Wait, I have some records. Psylocke and Falcon I bought in 2006, although I think I was sweating building MODOK more than Mojo. Luke Cage was my first figure of 2007, a whopping five bucks! Longshot was picked up later 2007, and I feel like he would've been on the pegs for a stretch by then. And yeah, I eBay'ed First Appearance Iron Man early 2008. 

I did find a few other older Build-a-Figure, or Collect-n-Connect, pieces out there, too: three of Kalibak, maybe four of Imperiex, most of a Brood, a couple Apache Chief, few Arnim Zola parts. I think a Stel leg; although looking it up I might have more. Long time back, some of those! Out of the older ones, anything else I had parts for, I probably sold: I don't have any old Onslaught or Apocalypse pieces. (Have I ever built an Apocalypse? I may have gone out of my way not to!) But, now an unpleasant chore: dusting Mojo. So many...crevices...hurk.


1 comment:

Mr. Morbid said...

Now THIS is the kind of content I love to see & read! This definitely feels like a learning experience about why you should have a better filing system or be organized when it comes to build a figure parts, except I definitely know all too well why that’s not always realistic.

I definitely like the newer Mojo figure over the older one though. Best of luck to you on keeping the contents of your previous meal in your stomach while you’re cleaning his 😏