Monday, December 19, 2016

I have no idea what volume of Secret Avengers this is? Three?

The trouble with the Happenstance method here: stumbling across an interesting title a little late in the game, like today's book: from 2013, Secret Avengers #8, "Mission 008: the Cathedral" Written by Nick Spencer, pencils by Luke Ross, color art by Matthew Wilson.

Previously, Daisy Johnson's unsanctioned coup against A.I.M. has gone south, and new S.H.I.E.L.D. head Maria Hill has seemingly left Mockingbird out in the cold. More disturbingly, Bobbi appears to now be trapped in the body of an A.I.M. technician, Harold Bainbridge. Since she was also a biologist, Bobbi is able to bluff quite a ways; but is worried that she may actually be a Skrull, particularly concerning her past history (of previously being replaced) and that she now appears to have super-strength.

Meanwhile, the internal politics of A.I.M. seem interesting as well, since there are various "ministers," in cabinet positions, that longtime readers might recognize; including Superia, Mentallo, Taskmaster, and Jude the Entropic Man. (The latter is creepy as hell, but a deep cut from Marvel Two-in-One #43 that was also used in an Earth X series.) Still, I think this book got sidetracked by the Infinity crossover, and this storyline wouldn't begin to wrap up until #12 began the five-part "How to MA.I.M. a Mockingbird." Which I may need to find the trade for...I thought the title would be a harder search on Amazon, actually.

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

All I know is that this run follows immediately Reminder's, so yeah Volume 3 sounds good. The storyline you described sounds pretty damn interesting.

And Jude! Shit I thought he was just an Earth X creation. Guess not.