Wednesday, June 16, 2010

"Hell to Pay."

I read a few of Blue Devil's early comic appearances, reprinted in the old DC Digests, about 26 or so years ago; and liked them a lot. But then his book went with a more whimsical tone in it's weirdness, as opposed to the demons and super-villains of varying degrees of competence and less forced humor. By the time his book was cancelled, they had moved away from everything that had worked for me. Then BD was made an actual devil, and blah, blah, blah...the further away the character got from 'stuntman trapped in devil suit, weird crap happens in a humorous fashion,' the less I was interested. I think I've read, what was that one, Shadowpact, like once.


Really like the figure, though. And I could be convinced that Blue Devil could come back, even though I really think a back to basic approach would be for the best for him.

3 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

Blue Devil could take Hellboy. :-)

chiasaur11 said...

Not so sure.

I mean, the Goon took Anung Un Rama once, sure, but that's THE GOOOON!

Stuntman doesn't quite match with Carnie in the grand comic book "Who could take who in a fight."

(Excerpt: Professional Badass > Robot Action Scientist > Cosmic Horror)

SallyP said...

When even Etrigan is embarrassed, I guess you've jumped the shark. Or the Styx. Or whatever.