Thursday, December 17, 2015

80-Page Thursdays: Vertigo Quarterly CMYK #2!


The last of the Vertigo Quarterlies that I have so far--and the last 80-pager I have for the time being--from 2014, Vertigo Quarterly CMYK #2, or "Magenta," with stories and art by Rachel Deering, Matteo Scalera, Carla Berrocal, Jody Houser, Rufus Dayglo, and more.

Full disclosure time: this was a $7.99 comic, and there's no way I would've paid that much for it. The only creators I recognized this issue were Peter Milligan and Tommy Lee Edwards: Milligan's "The Shoe in the Attic" was great, while I didn't think Edward's art on "Gloves" was too bad, the story didn't do it for me.

"Bone White, Blood Red" is a pleasant little horror short, and "Adrift" features a young woman dealing with grief with a Barbie-type doll, and is both charming and devastating. Rian Hughes writes and draws "Magenta is not a Color" which is a denser read in eight pages than nine out of ten entire comics that you see any given Wednesday. So, four good ones out of nine, and even the other five weren't awful; and getting the book for under two bucks? Have to say, that might push it up a letter grade!

No comments: