Tuesday, August 15, 2023

I was in a positively dire mood the other day, so I went to my local Comic Book Shop, and they had once again salted their cheap rack with books they know damn well I'm going to buy. Weird War, Time Twisters, Gold Key stuff! Flash Gordon versus Shark Men? I'm not made of stone! From 1979, Flash Gordon #21, "Wolf in the Fold" Written by John Warner, art by Frank Bolle.
The assorted battles and wars on planet Mongo had probably gone back-and-forth a few times at this point; with Ming currently less the imperial tyrant and more like a terrorist plotting against everyone. His Shark Men forces had infiltrated Prince Barin's Arboria, and one of Barin's most trusted men, Ferro, was also a Ming follower. The Shark Men plot to blow up a power plant and capture Dale Arden after she spots them, but she manages to free herself and fight the hell out of them; like this one she karate-chops in the spine? Kidney? Something.
In the end, Ferro kills his Shark Man partner, to save Barin; but not out of returning loyalty: the Shark Men's plan had failed, there was no force to occupy the city, so killing Barin then wouldn't accomplish anything. Not yet, anyway...Ferro sells it well, making himself seem like a leading citizen. I did pick up a couple more issues of this; I wonder if this plot goes on...
Also this issue: a Thor Hostess Twinkies ad I don't think I had seen before!

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I think Dale missed out on hitting some other vital organs on said Shark men, like their noses, eyes and *icks. Just saying. Also since they rely on their large livers to help them remain buoyant, a good liver punch or chop would've been good too, so Idk, maybe karate-chopping them in the kidneys was as close as she could get? *Shrugs*

The one main good thing I could always say about Gold Key comics were how well/beautiful those painted covers looked, because God knows the interiors were crap shoots from then on as far as quality goes.

Which does get me asking, and maybe you've already mentioned this before, but due to copyrights, there's not a lot of trades or big collections of Gold Key comics out there is there? Certainly not for the foreseeable future I bet.

Never saw that Thor Hostess ad before either. I swear the wannabe Weather Wizard looks suspiciously like Bruce Banner. Hmmmm.