Thursday, September 28, 2023

I probably won't have back-to-back Dredd posts, especially since this is one I think I've considered blogging about before, then held off...since it's really mean, guys. Like, trigger warnings mean. But, we need to talk about the layout of a Mega-City kitchen, my delightful speaking voice, and a hopefully apocryphal tale of a college radio station! From 1993, Dredd Rules! #18, reprinting "Talkback" from 1991's 2000 AD #740, written by Garth Ennis, art by Glenn Fabry.
As a senior Judge, Dredd would of course be called in on a puzzler like this one, a locked-room mystery: superstar DJ Cool Johnny Cool, in his own home, shoved into the garbage grinder. Another Judge suggests the obvious, suicide; but it didn't seem likely to Dredd: "He comes home...makes himself a cup of sythi-caff all nice and calm...then takes a header down the garbage grinder?" I don't know, I've never lived anywhere with a garbage disposal, or a grinder that would chew up an entire body. I've certainly never lived anywhere with a TV above said grinder, either! There's like zero safety features; that thing looks like it'd be dangerous in a slaughterhouse. Dredd calls in Psi-Division, but instead of the usual Anderson he gets Judge Palmer, who seems as green as grass, but admittedly being told to find a clue in the human remains bucket is a tough day at the office for anybody. Surprisingly, Palmer does get a hit, bowled over by "the hate."
We then flashback a few days, for the sad end of Cool Johnny Cool, DJ douchebag. An unfortunate accident in the radio station's bathroom gives him a bump on the head, and soon thereafter he would start hearing the voices. No one else heard, but Johnny; voices telling him how much he sucked and how he should kill himself, as soon as possible. And Johnny, seemingly almost in a trance, tries to throw himself out a window, drown himself in the toilet, drink a cocktail of household cleaners...Johnny's boss gives him some time off, and suggests he see a doctor; but the voices follow him home, getting louder and stronger: "TELL YOU WHAT, HOW ABOUT YOU JUST THROW YOURSELF IN THE GRUDDAM GARBAGE GRINDER, COOL JOHNNY COOL!"
Palmer explains what happened: Johnny must have been a latent psi, and the bump on the noggin triggered abilities in him. Namely, picking up on what everyone in Mega-City One thought of him, which drove him to his death. Staggered, Palmer wonders who could deserve something like that...for about three seconds, until Dredd puts on a tape of Cool Johnny Cool's show.
Mean, so mean! Maybe not entirely inaccurate, but still. Dale will back me up on this: I have a delightful voice, honed from entirely too many years on the phone, where I was often told I had a face--er, voice, for radio. But I hate morning shows and talky DJ's! I would be a caveman of a DJ: "That was songs. Here more songs." Sadly, I missed a brief window in college when a local station was first established--and wannabes were probably fighting way harder than I'd care to for airtime; I would not have had the competitive drive for that. Also, and I should preface this by saying I'm not positive this is true, but I'm pretty sure: I was a casual acquaintance and occasional co-worker with a guy that was one of the college station's founders. I hadn't seen him for a while, and when I ran into a mutual friend, I asked where he had been: apparently, after a bad break-up, he had locked himself in the station, and told everyone in broadcast distance what he thought of her, the town, everything. The way that story was told to me, made it sound like a bell tower shooting, only over radio. Anyway, that's a little story that hopefully didn't happen but I kinda think probably did.

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

A bit mean? Sure, but DJ Cool Johnny Cool sounds A LOT like these modern-trying-too-hard-to-hip DJs, or the comedy duos that seem to be a common staple for any & all radio stations worth a flip. It's like a something you get in a "So, you want to start a radio station?" Starter Kit.


I'm probably beyond biased at this point in our friendship, but yes, you do have a lovely phone voice. It's certainly got that mid-western/Montana charm to it that's for sure. Honestly given your line of work, I'd much rather deal with you when it comes to having to call up and complain why my health insurance is dicking me around & not covering what it needs to. I feel you'd actually try to help, whereas most would be less than enthused about actually doing their goddamn job.

I will say hearing you swear is always simultaneously funny as shit to hear & jarring bc you sound so nice on the phone. Not quite hearing Mr. Rogers cuss for the 1st time, but in that ballpark.
And I get it, not everyone's a fan of hearing their own voice on the phone, recording, etc.
God knows I'm included in said list bc it feels like you're listening to David Duchovny on cough medicine or his retarded cousin, and nobody wants that, ha ha.

Anyhoo...

As for that last one, yeah I can see where breaking up with anyone who has readily access to a radio station would NOT be a smart move. Sounds like a cautionary tale that often gets ignored.
Hope your friend's doing a lot better now these days.

H said...

No, I will not fall into your trap to talk about my Judge Dredd expertise.


Damnit.


Ok, let’s get the big stuff out of the way first- Anderson’s not here because she was on sabbatical in space (one of her occasional crises of conscience- she’ll be back in time for a big crossover in a year or so). The garbage grinders are actually pretty standard for Mega-City One- they’re on almost every corner. Relatively few accidents, surprisingly, but there was a story about an energy being that took one over a year or so back. They’re bolted to the ground, so that went about as well for it as you’d expect.

This isn’t even the second meanest Garth Ennis music-related Dredd story, if you can believe it. Look up the Muzak Killer stories- the characters are paper-thin parodies of musicians Garth hated. Guy had some strong opinions on music. DJs do get a hard time in 2000 AD anyway, but there was some serious musical hatred going on in the early 90’s.