Friday, September 15, 2023

A couple from the (anti) socials...

Even though I have like zero reach, I still post some stuff on ugh...X, although I'm trying to jump ship and haven't been able to entirely yet. But, here's a couple short ones that ended up there.
It's probably been long enough that I can talk about this, and I apologize if I've complained about it here before: I hated like the last six or eight issues of Zdarsky's Daredevil run. There was a bit there where Matt was building an army and looking into rehabilitation and redemption in what could have been an interesting way, that was seemingly dropped like it was hot. Ditto the Hand/Fist war and the Punisher: kinda seemed like they wanted to build up to end Frank's story there, and then didn't, so the whole thing felt like a wet squibb. There was also a weird retcon with this guy that supposedly was controlling Matt's destiny, and I honestly can not recall if that plot went anywhere either. And Matt's getting a Marvel Legend in his beardy look from this run: do not want; probably won't end up building a Mindless One. Elektra-DD, keep that, though.
Even weirder, looking up old Hostess Fruit Pie ads, Daredevil was in several! The pies are easy enough to make, with a bit of cardboard folded into a pie-like shape put in the middle of the printed wrappers and then taped up. I don't think Twinkies or Hostess Cup Cakes would look right like that, though; so none of those yet.

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I honestly think Spidey's right, and a lot of both comic book problems & real-world problems could at the very least be temporarily halted, not so much solved, but halted, by eating something. Maybe that snickers commercial where they famously say "You're not you when you're hungry (hangry)" might've been legit this whole time & not just a catchy tag line.

I definitely need to see you randomly solve a long-running story arc by simply having the main protagonist throwing a Hostess snack at the villain & instantly solving said conflict now. Hell, to make it more exciting, let it be a random character totally unassociated w/ the story gleefully dispensing said tasty deus ex machina. Just a suggestion.

Otherwise, maybe create your own homage to the hostess ad.

That bearded DD figure is admittedly pretty cool looking. I like the head sculpt the best & if I ever bought one, I would just place it on a regular DD body for when Matt's feeling VERY extra broody on the shelf.
That DD Elektra figure could really become worth a lot of money in the long run depending on how easy to find or buy she'll be later down the line, but I think she'll continue to grow in collectability due to scarcity.

CalvinPitt said...

I always figured that Peter eats a lot of junk food. At least when he's not living with Aunt May, or married to MJ during one of her successful modeling/acting periods. Otherwise, just can't spare the money, and with his metabolism and the amount of activity he gets, he'll burn it all off anyway. Poor diet might explain why he's so susceptible to getting colds, too. (That and swinging around in tights during the winter.)

I remember early in Waid's Daredevil run, Captain America confronts DD after the recent "Shadowland" mess and Matt's briefly holding the shield. He describes as like touching a Stradivarius, a work of art. With his radar sense, I bet he could pull off some crazy bank shots with that thing.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

I can definitely Peter being that type of guy. I mean who doesn't enjoy eating junk food, but like you said, with his metabolism that would be a quick & cheap way of giving the energy he needs to fire off those famous quips of his on a budget.