Friday, September 29, 2023

Short one today, since I did something I surprisingly don't do enough: sat down with a big stack of comics and plowed through them! Namely, the entire run of IDW's current series Star Trek and Star Trek: Defiant, so I could then read the concluding chapters to their "Day of Blood" crossover: Star Trek: Defiant #7, Star Trek: Shax's Best Day and Star Trek #12.
I don't have the stardates in front of me, but these are set sometime between Insurrection and Nemesis, as Captain Benjamin Sisko returns from the wormhole/"Celestial Temple" with a new mission: someone, or something, is killing gods. Writers Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing get to play with a lot of the toys: Sisko gets a new ship put together by Scotty, and his crew includes Data, Crusher, Tom Paris, and briefly Worf. Worf gets his own ship and crew midway through with the Defiant spin-off, as he and Sisko are at odds with how to stop the bad guy, and Worf gets Spock, Lore, B'Elanna Torres, and Ro Laren. But, Worf leaving also leaves a spot open for a newer character: Lt. Shax from Lower Decks, who gets a great solo issue! That's in animated style, while we also see a...detooned? version elsewhere.
The two series build up to...hey, wait a minute! IDW calls "Day of Blood" "the first ever Star Trek comic book event!" You mean, like a crossover? Through multiple titles, with a one-shot to kick it off? Marvel did that back in '97 with Telepathy War #1! I liked that one, but this new one's pretty good as well. BTW, even if you aren't a fan of Lower Decks (and the current season's been pretty strong!) Chris Westlake has a very Trek soundtrack going for it. Credits after the break! In posting order, Star Trek #12, "Day of Blood, part five" Written by Collin Kelly and Jackson Lanzing, art by Angel Unzueta; Star Trek: Shax's Best Day, "Shax's Best Day!" Written by Ryan North, art by Derek Charm; and Star Trek: Defiant #7, "Day of Blood, part 4" Written by Christopher Cantwell, art by Angel Unzueta. Tried to keep the spoilers to a minimum, but with a title like "Day of Blood" you maybe don't have to be the hardest of hardcore fans to guess a little...

2 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Never thought I'd ever hear of Worf & Sisko teaming up together given they both resented totally different crews from two different shows. Interesting.

I myself used to be loyal viewer of Star Trek: TNG during it's original run all the way to the movies, of which I watched all of them.
HATED how Kirk died in Nemesis, especially when he proved to be the better Captain, at least where physicality's involved, beating the shit out of Nemesis, while Jean Luc got his ass pwned. Of course the next movie w/ the TNG cast involving the Borg massively helped to rehabilitate Captain Picard's rep in my eyes, especially that one scene in the holodeck where he's dressed as a 30's gangster and mows down a bunch of Borg with a Tommy Gun. BAD-ASS!

Haven't watched the Picard series tho. Just not as interested in it as younger me would've been I guess.

After TNG, I watched both DS9 & Voyager & that's where my interest in Star Trek died out, aside from the TNG movies.

BTW, I'm pretty you did, but did you ever buy & read the X-Men/Star Trek crossover? The first one from '97?

googum said...

But of course! I liked the sequel too, and the novel that came a bit later. I wasn't quite all-in for Marvel's Trek, but close.