Wednesday, March 30, 2022

"Disruption."

If you remember the last panel of the last strip, where Magneto zaps Kurt; the figures were in that position for a long time after that last shoot; since I had at best a vague idea where I was going. I kind of wish Kurt had got to call Magneto out to his face a little more; for whatever good it would do, he's not gonna change. 

 As I write this, I don't think Immortal X-Men has come out yet; but there have been solicitations and previews for the second annual Hellfire Gala; with more fancy costumes and some guest-starring Avengers. And...the gala just seems like a terrible party; about as fun as a coffin fitting. I feel like the mutants would need to be seen in more humanizing activities, if you'd pardon the expression. Or, and I admit I haven't read every X-book lately, I'd be more interested in what the mutant community was finding in terms of art or music. Right now, it feels like they've got Dazzler and maybe some paintings from Colossus, and that's about it?  As usual, I could be wrong there. 

Another point I had considered, then skipped, was that Kurt is a mutant 24 hours a day, and may be on call 24 hours a day, but he's not on the job 24 hours a day. That's Cyclops territory, and look how he turned out...And again, I think the Krakoa-era may have humanized him more than usual, giving him time with his kids Cable and Rachel, among other things. Still, Kurt also has less than no interest in being a mutant politician, although I admit I write him as not particularly invested in anybody's spiritual development, either. For me, Kurt does his job for mutantkind, then punches out to go hang out with Sat. Between Krakoa portals and his own teleportation (which may or may not be god-level at this point) Kurt could be on the scene first if he had to be. Of course, when I think of him punching the clock...


Also, while there are probably a ton of mutants who would be just jim-dandy with never seeing a human again; there has to be some with parents, siblings, or other loved ones that would like to have a place for them on Krakoa. Which doesn't seem likely.

3 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Poor Kurt. Looks like you're going to be putting him through the ringer on this in your Gooverse, with him ultimately wanting out of the whole Krakoan deal if he can't have his me time.

That is a good question about the mutants preferring to never see humans again. I guess that entirely depends on each mutant's individual relationship with humans and whether or not theirs was good or not.
I'm thinking, eventually there comes a point in some members of a cult/movement/religion, where they decide their own needs & ideals aren't meshing well with the groups and they leave paradise. I'm wondering when that'll eventually happen in the comics and who/whom it is that decides to leave.

CalvinPitt said...

It seems like humans can live on Krakoa, if a mutant will, I guess vouch for them. Maybe invite is a better word. Northstar's husband lives there at least some of the time, and I think Kitty invited Franklin Richards to come visit after Dan Slott decreed Franklin was just using his powers to appear to be a mutant (or something). I figured she'd eventually invite the Power Pack kids, they used to hang out with her a fair amount.

One thing I'm curious about is, Way of X established a lot of the residents were having kids and just abandoning them. I don't think mutant parents always produce mutant kids, so what happens if one of the abandoned babies is a regular old human? The parents didn't want them, so does that mean they get tossed thru a gate? Given the number of residents the comics have talking about humans pretty much like Magneto does in your story, can't imagine Krakoa would be a great place for a non-mutant kid to grow up.

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

CalvinPitt: Which is the true irony here isn't t? That humans on Krakoa would take on the roles of persecuted mutants on Earth. Personally I can't wait until this whole hippie experiment is mercifully ended once every bit of story, drama & ntrigue is squeezed out of it so that cohabitation between the two species is back to being the main goal again.