Wednesday, March 02, 2022

"Glum."

I re-read all of Extraordinary X-Men the other day, because it keeps falling out of my head: I read most of it when it was coming out. Although, I may have skipped some of the more Inhuman-centric issues, because come on. 

But I think Nightcrawler is in a bad headspace most of the series, after witnessing a mass mutant grave; then he gets captured and a bit of torture from Mister Sinister and his crew. (Not the Nasty Boys, I don't think, which is a shame, but I think he did have Chimera from Wolverine!) In a later issue, Kurt angrily tells Storm he's got it back together, and to stop treating him like a liability. He then backstabs future-timeline Apocalypse, potentially putting the entire world at risk. Couple issues after that, to get Colossus restored from being a Horseman, Kurt tells Apocalypse he'll "let him go." Which he does, teleporting Apocalypse out and dropping him to his seeming death in Limbo. It is very action hero-y, and more so if Kurt overplayed his German accent to Schwarzenegger-levels. 

Anyway, Kurt's point about Krakoa is probably a vast oversimplification, but there's a bit of truth to it. I'm not sure Sinister has ceased doing evil crap in the slightest, but the powers-that-be in Krakoa seem to have accepted that as the cost of doing business.

4 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

That is a VERY cool bit you did with Xavier's head was pretty damn cool. Nice touch.

So it looks like Kurt's going to be stranded in Krakoa now? Should make for an interesting new epic.

Is Mr. Sinister up to evil these days? FUCK YES HE IS! He helped Mystique out by sneaking out for her a copy Destiny's dna so that she could be brought back. He knowingly did that. Plus there's all manner of foul shit he could & most likely IS up to these days, even though there's supposed to be total transparency now. Yeah right.

BTW, You know, I never thought of that Jedi council comparison, but it works, it really works.

H said...

If this is an excuse for another Cat/Sat adventure, I'm all for it! Otherwise, I hope Nightcrawler brings a pizza with him- the only thing I can think of when I see Xavier's floating head is that meme.

CalvinPitt said...

Gee, hang out with Satana, or hang out on an island with jerks like Mr. Sinister, Magneto, and Fabian Cortez? Tough choice. . .

As far as Mr. Sinister goes, I think that Hellions book was nothing but Sinister getting up to stuff and not really getting any comeuppance for it. The Council basically gave him a team of damaged people they didn't want to deal with and said, "go nuts," and he screwed them over. But he's too important to the whole cloning thing to properly punish, apparently.

It's stuff like that, makes me roll my eyes when the X-writers have characters talking about how much better mutants and Krakoa are than humans. Wow, they developed a system where the powerful can do what they like, so original!

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...


@H: Shit, I didn't even think of that one, haha.

@CalvinPitt: Right!? I guess Marvel's doubling down on keeping this new status quo, probably because it's the most interesting (and VERY arguably one of the more seemingly exciting) developments to happen to the X-Men since the 90's (or Morrison's run I guess) rather than just letting it fall about, which is VERY inevitable. After that, I guess it'll roll back to the old status quo. Of course idk how that happens after this.