Monday, April 09, 2012

Retro Toy Week: 'Total Justice' Wonder Woman!


Total Justice Wonder Woman is a bit of a misnomer: after the proper Total Justice line from Hasbro, several of the figures were reissued as a JLA line. The figures were the same sculpts, minus the 'fractal armor' accessories; with the occasional new, repainted, or previously unreleased character. In the fourth and final series in 2000, Wonder Woman was released, along with her teammates the Atom and Red Tornado. I want to say she was single-packed per case; and I'm not positive I ever saw another one after getting mine at the late, somewhat lamented KB Toys. I'm pretty sure she was only $3.33, too...

Since I didn't have it handy, I looked up a couple of dates: Total Justice began in 1996, Wonder Woman here has 2000 on her, and 2000 was the same year Toy Biz would release the precursors to Marvel Legends, Spider-Man Classics. So she may have been a little dated even when she hit the pegs.

WW has the typical five points of articulation shared with the rest of the line: neck, shoulders, hips. All basic swivels, with her hair restricting the neck for the most part, and the leg points only good for finding her standing balance. There is a hole on her hip to attach her magic lasso (which I probably have somewhere...) but she has two closed fists and couldn't hold it. Her sculpt is muscular, but not overly so like the main TJ line; and her stance is relatively neutral compared to their angry grit-tooth poses.


Despite all that, and despite her not being displayed regularly, I still have a soft spot for this figure: I think this was the first Wonder Woman figure I ever bought; and I managed to get her ahead of my boss at the time, who was also collecting the line! Wonder if he ever did find one...

2 comments:

Bubbashelby said...

I had this one too. A standout in the line!

SallyP said...

Hey, she looks pretty good!