Friday, April 13, 2012

Retro Toy Week: Legacy of Kain Soul Reaver Raziel!


What do I know about the Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver Playstation 1 game? Just about nothing. Never played it, sorry.

What do I know about the Raziel figure from Blue Box? Slightly more. Maybe.


For a figure from 2000, Raziel has a fair amount of useful articulation, even if a lot of it is done with simple cut joints: 2 mid-bicep points, 2 elbows, 2 wrists, the right thumb, 2 hips and 2 mid-thigh. Then, the neck, shoulders and ankles are balls, and the knees straight-hinges. Some of the cuts are a little stiff, but would probably loosen up with a bit of work. Raziel's neck articulation doesn't come into play until you remove the shawl/face covering he wears; and he also has two non-removable soft rubber, membraneous wings. The latter are holding up pretty well for a figure over a decade old.

I didn't have them handy, but I'm pretty sure I still have his accessories, a torch and a spear weapon. The left hand has a hole to peg the spear into, while the cut right thumb joint helps him hold the torch.

If I haven't played the game, why did I buy this figure? Well, I was working at a store where I got a discount; and if my admittedly spotty memory serves, I'm pretty sure I got Raziel for under five bucks. That, and he looks like Nightcrawler's undead corpse:

Still a pretty solid figure, wheather you know him or not; but NECA put out their own version pretty recently, so you could probably find a Raziel on the pegs with a little searching. Is the NECA one better than Blue Box's, is the question...

1 comment:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

Nice gag, He really does look like Nightcrawler's corpse, or maybe he's an Avatar zombie, or even worse, Mystique's unsuccessful abortion all grown-up. Yeah, think about that for a second.