Friday, May 28, 2010

I couldn't find a fat Nightcrawler scan...


...but this one will do.

Longtime readers here may have noticed I've been dogging it a bit here lately. At least, I feel like I have. It's due in part to being slightly fed up with comics: Nightcrawler dead, the only two books I read from DC (Warlord and Unknown Soldier) are both being cancelled, $3.99 is the new price point, and more. I might not talk about current comics events like DC Comics killing their CMX imprint or spiralling comic sales, but rest assured I worry about them as well. Overall, I like comics, and I'd like them to be around for the foreseeable future, which doesn't necessarily seem like a given.

That's great, but what does that have to do with fat Deadpool, you ask? Well, a couple months ago at my work a few employees got together to have a "Biggest Loser" style competition. Everyone throws in ten bucks, and whoever loses the highest percentage of weight by the last weigh-in wins the pot. I got talked into entering (initially, I wasn't sure if it would be fair, since I'm a guy, and don't guys lose weight differently? I don't know) and then I was in it to win it. So far, as of right this second, I've lost 22 pounds. Yeah, I won't put a ton of effort into losing weight for my health or any nancy reason like that, but I will for cash and prizes. That probably says something about me...

Anyway, aside from laying off the carbs and not eating after 7 PM each night, the loss is probably due to walking. I run a little, but not as much as I used to, since my knees are a little dicey: they're holding up, but I'm babying them. I walk Sam so much, I'm worried I'm going to wear that dog down to a nub. Ah, I say that but could doubtless walk him three times as far before he would complain. I've walked so far, I wore holes in my newest pair of shoes. Honest-to-goodness, hobo-style holes; I don't think I've ever worn shoes down to that point. (Usually, the tops tear or the toes.) I think the walking also helps because if I'm walking, I'm not dumping food down my face.

So, I'm probably in front of my computer a little less, or reading comics a little less than usual. The upside is, I enjoy walking, and a lot of ideas for homemade strips come when I'm wandering around. Rest assured, I'm not going anywhere, except for a little stroll here and there. Oh, and I'll be out 'til Tuesday, so have a good, long weekend!

Scan from Deadpool: Merc with a Mouth #9, written by Victor Gischler, art by Bong Dazo, inks by Victor Pimentel.

3 comments:

SallyP said...

Congrats on loosing the pounds!

nyrdyv said...

We all know it will just be a matter of time until we find out Nightcrawler is not really dead but...

Cheers!

Steven G. Willis
XOWComics.com

Anonymous said...

Warlord is being cancelled because the washed up Mike Grell ran out of ideas again. It should've been a mini-series and not spread out with fill-in artists galoore and no space to firmly establish itself.

Typical of you're b-list comics and DC should think twice before greenlighting ongoings if the writers has no stories to tell like Amanda Connor and Jimmy Palmiott's Power Girl. Why tease fans and shamelessly take their money? Oh wait..