Wednesday, May 19, 2010

"Two Caps are better than one...unless you get USAgent...or that jerky 50's one..."

Click to enlarge!
I wouldn't have a problem with Steve Rogers and Bucky Barnes both wearing Captain America uniforms, throwing shields, and kicking ass. It does look like Steve's going to be going the Nick Fury route, though; and while I'm not 100% on his new not-Cap uniform, I could be convinced to see where that goes.

Maybe. Yesterday, I skimmed through Marvel's August solicitations at Comic Book Resources...and wasn't thrilled. Daniel Way's Deadpool is on the ropes with me, although I'll probably definitely get Deadpool #1000: the numbering is a lame joke, but there's a solid lineup of creators on board.

If anyone other than Bendis was writing Avengers Prime, the Alan Davis art would be too tempting to pass up; but I've read enough of Bendis's Marvel stuff to know I've read enough. The Ultimate books, the "Heroic Age" Avengers, the X-books, the big Daredevil "Shadowland" crossover: I won't be buying any of those.

I'll probably buy the new issue of S.H.I.E.L.D. and Bob Layton's Hercules: Twilight of a God most definitely. Mmmmmaybe The Thanos Imperative. I think I'd like it, but it has the feel of a book that I'd say "Oh, I'll wait for the trade," then not think of again for three years.

Wolverine: Weapon X #16 is "the reading of Nightcrawler's will," and oh good god, I'm positive it's gonna suck. If Kurt asks Logan to forgive his killer or himself or something, Kurt's really missed the point of Wolverine.

And...that's it. I'm kind of thinking about Marvel's digital subscription, maybe in January or something when it's so cold I don't wanna go outside anyway; to read some books like Thor or PunisherMax (still a dumb name!) or Fantastic Four or even Captain America; books I'm kinda interested in but not $2.99 worth interested in. Let alone $3.99 worth...

2 comments:

SallyP said...

Bucky's right of course...it WOULD be better with two.

Yeah, I think I'll be reading Hercules,which has been amazingly good, but not much else. Plus they killed off Loki, and I LIKE Loki!

CalvinPitt said...

I'm also considering Deadpool 1000. Thanos Imperative is a definite, because I need my cosmic fix. There are a couple of other mini-series, and the Atlas ongoing (I'll buy Atlas stuff for as long as Jeff Parker wants to write it).

I'm going to try trade-waiting on Secret Avengers, but when push comes to shove, I may pass it by entirely. Really wish they'd given Brubaker Immonen or Romita Jr., let Bendis have Deodato.