Wednesday, August 06, 2008

"So there's the comics, the movie, novels, and the animated series; all with their own continuity. Hellboy Crisis is probably in the works."
Why the eyepatch?  It'll make sense later in the story...
Wish I could do a wavy-flashback effect there.
It's an honest mistake...
Roger was cool as hell, but there's no way I'd pick up that ring...
As I write this, I still haven't seen Hellboy 2: the Golden Army, but I'm still looking forward to it. Over vacation, I read two more of the novels (The God Machine, written by Thomas E. Sniegoski; and On Earth As It Is In Hell, written by Brian Hodge.) and I've been a fan of the comic since Seed of Destruction. A couple of weeks ago, I sat down with a few complete limiteds: Darkness Calls, and the Abe Sapien and Lobster Johnson minis. So, a bit of Hellboy on the brain, yeah.

I kind of like B.P.R.D. better lately, though. Hellboy's journey into mythology isn't boring, but it's a direction I (and, I would imagine, Hellboy himself) wouldn't have chosen to take. Still, it's something new, and that is something. For the record, Abe is about a million times more badass than I make him out to be here; but there haven't been action figures of the "frogs" so no fights, sorry. (Sammael from the first movie is close, but not quite; and the frogs are more numerous and more scary.) Roger is also badass, but he is a homunculus made of human excrement and other, um, less tasteful things.

I was considering picking up the Liz Sherman figure (check out OAFE's review here) but haven't gotten around to it yet; and while I have a couple movie Hellboys and an animated one, I'm still kicking myself for not getting a Mignola style one. Stupid, stupid, stupid. If I got Johann, I think I'd want the comic style as well. Movie Liz Sherman, though, if for no other reason than to make her and Buffy kiss...

Why the eyepatch on Hellboy? It'll make sense later. And Professor X has to stand in for Jeffery Tambor: it's almost a pity Hellboy wasn't made eight or nine years ago, when the action figure market seemed flush, and he'd have gotten a figure...

2 comments:

Sea-of-Green said...

Good Lord! Roger has to be one of the most ... er ... UNFORTUNATE action figure designs I've ever seen.

Heh, heh, heh. Funny, though. :-)

googum said...

Actually, in one of the B.P.R.D. series, the new commander tries to make Roger wear pants, which actually looks worse. Love that book, although I might finally go over to trades there...