Wednesday, December 29, 2021

"Renfield."

I swear I had most of this strip planned, before Dan Slott brought it up again on Twitter! I didn't like it at the time, I don't like it now: killing off Hostess Spidey is just taking a doofy, pleasant memory and crapping on it to be 'extreme.' It feels like killing Cookie Monster or some other harmless childhood character. Ty Templeton sells the joke, sure, but it doesn't strike me as funny; and a lot of other Hostess-style spoofs do. (There are a number of fan-made ones, but top two would be the Thunderbolts and Preacher.)
Luckily, I don't think Mego Spidey had to face Morlun: that panel was from ToyFare #106, which OAFE mentioned in their review for Morlun. Who, let's be honest, I absolutely only bought because of the Build-a-Figure Armadillo part. As I type this, I'm still waiting for goldrush Spidey or whatever that one is. The new Miles is nicely done, as is Doctor Strange, even if I thought their last figures were fine. No Way Home J.Jonah Jameson had the devil's own time standing for a bit; and I haven't seen the movie yet, so I don't know if they're going to try and humanize him, or just let JJJ be a dick. (I kind of thought that was a problem with Shang-Chi: I don't think they wanted to get into the Fu Manchu-stereotypes, but they softened Wenwu up too much. Maybe let a bad guy be a bad guy.) Shriek might actually be useful later, as she makes up part of Carnage's Maximum Carnage-era Manson family, with the Doppleganger and Demogoblin. That just leaves Carrion, and I think there are enough parts in Hasbro's library to make him eventually.

I was also trying to think, if in Marvel continuity, we've seen a Renfield-type character for Dracula. But I suppose he probably goes through them like I go through noodle cups, since it would be like having an annoying, overly enthusiastic intern: you just want them to get your coffee or whatever, and they make it weird by trying to pattern themselves after you. And eating bugs. Who needs that, I ask you...

4 comments:

Mr. Morbid's House Of Fun said...

You know I had actually forgotten that had happened until you reminded me. Yeah it definitely didn't need to happen for the sake of a quick joke, even if it was admittedly a decent one. What was 60's cartoon show Spidey not available? Or Japanese Spidey? 70's live-action Spidey? The list goes on.

CalvinPitt said...

They did that more than once. I know there was one where they killed off the Spider-Man from the Marvel vs. Capcom fighting games. And of course, they killed off "Mayday" Spider-Girl's Peter Parker and Mary Jane. Because Dan Slott thought Mayday needed to be an angsty, revenge-driven teen orphan who now had to look after her baby brother.

I really can't think of anything Dan Slott did while he was writing Spider-Man I thought was worth a damn, which is pretty sad considering he wrote the book for like, eight years or something.

googum said...

I haven't read Spidey regularly since before "One More Day." I wanna say liked the idea of Fortune 500 Spidey, with gadgets and Mockingbird; more than any actual execution of that, because of course it would be rolled back.

CalvinPitt said...

I'd forgotten him dating Mockingbird (tho I remember he and Carol Danvers going on a couple of dates, maybe after Secret Invasion). I could almost see it with Bobbi Morse, since she's a scientist too. Biochemist, right? She and Peter would have some common ground there.